Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Progress and Adjustments

Well I will be real (when am I not?!) and say that that initial EVERYTHING-IS-FANTASTIC-AND-I-AM-OVERJOYED feeling only last so long. But, thats normal. Initial excitement is just that--initial. So do not get me wrong, call my parents, or be concerned, because I am still super content and joyful. There was a lull in between, you know like crashing after coffee. Anyway, it didn't last long as the Lord is good and has plans for me, plans that require moving on!

I haven't had much to do since arriving outside of taking care of the logistics like making a list of all the things I need at Target that I have forgot to pack and hanging up some pictures (I'd love some of you if you want to print and send them!) I have taken the luxury of sleeping and taking naps, and praying for all that is to come through me and the ATV/my garden.

It has been peaceful and I actually had a day where I did not know what to do with my free time--so I went and sat. Yes, that is all I did. Okay..I took my iPod with me and then I sat. And watched the ocean.

There has been a lot about me that needs to get in shape. Walking! Oh me oh my! My legs are sore, my feet are bothering me again, my calves are tight...I live on the slope of a volcano. My lungs! Talking while walking up and down and up and down said volcano takes a lot more breath than I seem to have pumping. Spiritually: disciplines that get me on God's pace, timeline, agenda, and heartbeat. The greater vision for the farming and gardening things on campus is to eventually feed ourselves, train all the missionaries in appropriate projects for their country locations, and maybe even host scientific conventions...and thats all a big feat. So I want to be sure that everything I pursue is not my own, like chasing the wind, but of the Lord's plans and purposes basked in His favor. Things seem to work better this way, you know, when you've got God's green light.

My biggest curiosity to starting this new gig was how to lead the student helpers while I was at the same time learning everything they will be learning. It's like having a mechanic on his first day of tech school working with you on your car. Okay, so not that dramatic, nor technical. But you know, in YWAM and particularly in the culture of Science & Tech dept, we are a family and not all about prestige or expertise. So, I simply started off by saying,
 "Welp, today is my first day and I will be learning how this all works alongside you. I studied Agriculture development but it was mostly Community Development and now I get to figure out how to do it all...." 
I continued to elaborate on my philosophy on working: see Ecclesiastes. You should read the whole thing, its only about 12 chapters. If we are to labor and have hard work to do, it is best to also enjoy the fruits of this life that bring joy.

The group of students that will be helping me in the mornings are on the Leadership Track. They are advanced students and will have bigger projects and more responsibility. I have three of them with the possibility of having more. They are very ambitious which is a great match for me--they want to help make a big difference in this grand-re-opening of the ATV which is so nice and will be so effective. We are praying about rebuilding the methane catchment tank to run a process of trapping methane from the poo of the pigs. This will be a really big project but they're up for it! They were super thankful and genuine. I like the way this looks already.

I am excited to be able to work and lead from a place of relationship with God and wanting to do His work. Its quite incredible to say things like, "well, lets see what God wants" or like how I mentioned my work philosophy above is the wisdom from an entire book of the Bible. That's cool. #biblenerd #giddygardener ... I realize hashtags don't work on blogs. I still think they're cool.


Let's see what the other work-duty students are like this afternoon and what the work-week holds.


Prayer requests: for the pain in my feet; sun burns and bug bites; hearing from God on what to do and what not do to--not getting spread to thin or trying to do too much, too quickly. Finances for my leadership students, they're praying for income!

Thanks! Love, Bee...bzzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment