Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ladies: Jesus is Already Our Hero

I have been sorting through the deeper things with God, and well, lets just get down to it, I'm talking about relationships, dreaming of a husband, and all the nervous-exciting things that lead up to it.

I have had my fair share of crushes and heartbreaks, and done my fair share of crushing hearts. And, there have been enough participants in my trial & errors to see some trends. This reflection has brought some good revelations out of my prayer time.

So girls, time to be honest. After meeting or even just seeing a cute guy do you ever wonder if he'll walk up to you and tell you "_______________"? Do you ever think that after an exchange of words that perhaps the next day at work he will ___________ ? Are you ever thinking--while alone and quiet, doing your daily routine--that he might come over to you and compliment you, take that heavy box up the stairs for you, or, Heaven forbid, he be conveniently around that moment you twist an ankle and he can help you up and care for you?

Now, these are general examples not too far from the actual ones I think...almost all the time. It doesn't take much: great eyes, great smile, great pants, cool glasses, sly smirk...to peak my interest in a guy. I mean, if he's a cutie, my imagination is already busy hoping that it's just the beginning of everything I want in a boyfriend--fiance--husband.

Does this ever happen to you? Does a passing thought ever linger and become an obsession we call a "crush?"

I think these things are totally normal, by the way. Relief. You are not weird.
Does your mind do it effortlessly and without permission? Mine too! I often wonder if its because I have watched way too many movies that connect the dots of relationship development by milestone effects like these simple yet shallow items I listed above.

As I hang out with God asking for understanding, and as I put it together with other things that I am learning, I have come to this conclusion: that moment of HEROISM that we seek, i.e. that cute guy with an endearing smile who probably prays beautiful things and worships the Lord with all his heart to come by and satisfy our desire for affirmation and attention...we must first realize that Jesus is already our hero. 

Jesus gave up His life. I know you've heard that many a time and it seems like a vague collection of words. But read it slowly. He gave up His last breath knowing that He was completing the way to the Father. In my moments of thirsting for flattery or attention...I can easily find it in Jesus. I don't often choose to, until now that is. JESUS YOU ARE MY HERO. You have saved my life. I'm sure some small feat like complimenting my outfit or acknowledging my efforts at whatever I'm doing when I begin to daydream: "If he walks by and sees me working on this, he'll surely appreciate the this and that" and knowing that it will feel satisfying and rewarding to be notice and applauded, I continue to think "and because he'll be impressed, maybe he'll consider that he likes me and then he'll ask me out, and ooh he would make such a great husband..."

Ok. Wait. You just went from a simple need of affirmation and attention to irrationally jumping to a very separate desire to be married to a great guy...all the while Jesus is waiting for His due credit. Wow, you died for me, giving up your spirit and God the Father being well pleased with you extended His Spirit to you in a perfect and complete relationship. And you are trying to squeeze out a husband from a somewhat desperate and invisible plea to be noticed. JESUS NOTICES YOU. He wants to be in relationship with you so you can understand fully what that means.

Gentleman, I don't know what your process is like...but please, if you're taking advantage of this exposé, understand that beyond a non-vital desire to be affirmed and taken care of, what we really need is for you to push us toward God, and NOT to meet us in this quest. Point out something relative to God and how easy it is to please Him, and that we're doing one heck of a job despite all the girlish emotions and heart flutters.




Ladies, let me know what you think! Agree? Only somewhat? Disagree? I'd love to discuss/share/learn with you. Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment