Saturday, April 20, 2013

ATV: A Lesson In Pruning


Well I am still taking for a ride this learning curve. Just this morning I went to fetch a couple guavas for a friend and I to add to our breakfast and as I tugged on a branch to reach a few I snapped a branch of a nearby Moringa tree that was flowering... I now understand how my mom feels when something goes amiss with her gardening habit.

By the looks of the Appropriate Technology Village (the garden & technologies area) I figured we might be pulling weeds for a couple weeks. I have a total of 9 students that help me throughout different times of the day and week for a total of 19 hours...lets just say 'Phase 1: Clean Up' is coming along more swiftly than I imagined!

A learning moment:

As I started some students on pruning after a 2-minute lesson I had received the evening prior. We have a tree very similar to a cottonwood that has been overgrown for I don't know how many seasons...well the chore went from pruning to removing an intertwined branch from an upstairs neighboring tree and destroying half of the cottonwood...We sawed off the branch from above but as it was very tangled and fell from above, deepening the entanglement, and as we tried to pull this large sprawling branch out of the cottonwood we dragged out half of the leaves and of course cotton was all around!






No comments:

Post a Comment