Monday, June 4, 2012

Love First, Love Real

Inside the world of YWAM, evangelism is a "duh". As we draw ever-closer to Jesus, its indubitable (I look forward to using this word correctly!). 

Jesus, the man himself, was victorious over death, He triumphantly brought to an end evil's power to draw me into the choices and thoughts and attitudes that are anything short of love, peace, redemption, freedom, GLORY (one of my new favorite words, states of being and simultaneous goals). You see, Jesus was and is the perfecter of faith and righteousness and nearly everything the world tells us is worth persuing is everything Jesus came to set away from our affections. 

Where am I going with this? 

I guess so far as to say its pitiful how passionately I feel toward Jesus, and though these feelings are newly learned and newly voiced, that it takes so much learning-by-doing to recognize that I have been brainwashed by boring Christianity to think that it is not worth sharing. So I water it down and get self-conscious about the eternal truth that I know that actually lives and breathes and rescues through and through to this day. 

Today I went on a 'treasure hunt' as the Christianese lingo goes. This is simply to say that I asked God to give me words or images, visions or clues to point me to someone whom is His treasure. The idea is that it is a faith journey, that the person you reach is blown away that the God of Abraham and Isaac and Jesus loves them so much He would seek them out through me/us. 

But in reality, this is what I think may have happened: 

In a rush to get the purpose done I skipped being a normal, friendly, loving and encouraging human being.  I spilled out my name and that God sent me on a treasure hunt and gave us a list of these clues and that Addie, the girl we sorta befriended, met some of the clues: long and reddish hair. She didn't have an olive shirt on and was younger than my imagery God gave to me, but the red hair and young aged matched my co-treasure-hunter's words of "girl" + "red hair."

I panicked. Me, the incessantly talking Britt you all know, love and tolerate (ok, adore, but I didn't want to go that far in my humility of learning today). 

I should have loved her first and loved her for real. For who she is and for what she is worth to my heavenly Father, Abba. Yes giving her the Bible was important, and that was logistically the key to the treasure hunt. But did Jesus walk on this earth for logistics? NO WAY. 

I know its a learning process, but I just wish there were no mistakes so that the opportunities I have to love others and to be genuine and not cliché. No more stiff Christianity. No more stereotypes of Bible-thumpers and door-knockers. Be gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment