Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Jesus Crucified...For Sweatpants

Well, I woke up this morning to come to our prayer room for an hour of Bible reading. It started out solely dedicated for Bible reading this hour of time every morning. I am SOOOO THANKFUL for my friend Madalyn. She and I came together to not just keep each other accountable, but essentially to lovingly obligate each other to coming. Ok, obligate is a strong word, but its how I feel. It's a great thing though. I wake up in the morning and panic because I hit the snooze one too many times and Madalyn, patient and full of grace for me, is just standing outside my door, waiting for me to be ready.
SUB-REVELATION: Should I not be thinking all these same things about God every morning when I get up to spend time talking and praying and such? God is so worth my time and well, He's also the reason I'm showing up--so why not look forward to our rendezvous??
That was from a couple days ago, maybe last week, who knows at this point-I'M LEAVING FOR GREECE IN TWO DAYS (62 HOURS AND 26 MINUTES). Anyway, the epiphany from this morning is this:
Every time we ask for something from Jesus and get disappointed because it doesn't happen the way we think it should, there's a small something inside me that goes something along the lines like this (this could be painful, but its good):
Jesus isn't who He says He is: wondrous miraculous all-powerful God and Man, victorious over death, omni-present, omni-form, omni-everything....you get the idea. 
Jesus might not hear me, He might not love me, He might not want to bless me and surprise me, amaze me with His transcending (from Heaven) works....

So, Brittany. Let me get this straight, you're crucifying Jesus, again, and again and again and again, over a pair of sweatpants? I couldn't find my sweatpants and asked Jesus to help me locate them (you should try this next time you can't find something, He will help you find them, it can work for you too--because Jesus loves you too, loves to amaze and surprise you, wants you to know just how wondrous He is). Well, Jesus reminded me I also have a flashlight so I should use it. So practical this God of ours. I still couldn't find them and then that little thought snuck in my head, "blah, i thought Jesus worked like that..."

So, I say I'm sorry Jesus for metaphorically crucifying you over a pair of sweatpants. Siding with ideas that do not claim confidently who I know you are to me, and to this world.

Thank you for grace, Father.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment