Monday, October 1, 2012

Checklist Ministry: A Beggar, Dignified

AUGUST 14: TUESDAY EVENING

With a new fire lit inside us after our pastoral visit from our PhotogenX school leader, Jonathan Zerkle, we set out in small groups of 2's and 3's with a hefty checklist of ministry goals. We were told not to come home for dinner and/or to the Network Community Church until we had done everything on the list. As a very goal-oriented person, I was thrilled! Sometimes you just need a little push and something particular to work towards.
So Chelsea and I set out together to get the 'job' done. We prayed for grace and fun. God spoke to Chelsea reminding her that if the opportunity for something important like a prayer of salvation or a more in-depth time of ministry to ace the check-list.
Our first item on the list completed was praying for the city from a "historical" place and then we read all of 1 & 2 Thessalonians and Philippians at a Greek Orthodox church. Then we headed up to the Rotunda to pray at our second historical place. We also met the requirement of simply talking to Thessalonians several times as we asked for directions.
On our way to the 'Needle Point' Tower, a tower 5 stories tall that over looks the entire city from hillside-to-ocean, I saw down the street from Kamara a beggar that I had seen before. So Chelsea and I headed over after nodding in agreement we should of course "minister" to him.

I asked if he spoke English, our default first question to nearly every person we meet. He did not seem to respond a lot but also seemed to understand. I pointed to the cross on his necklace and showed my hands folded in prayer, asking if we could pray for him. He was hesitant at first but with Chelsea's enthusiasm and additional hand signals he agreed to prayer. I reached for his hand to hold and we saw his face light up. You see, when we had begun talking with him he was so slouched over you could not see his face as it was pointed into his lap touching his chest, his hands stretched out to receive. But by time I held his hand he was beginning to perk up. Chelsea saw the emotion in his face stir and warm up.

I then did what I have never felt comfortable or had reason to do before: I grabbed my big camera from my purse, pointed at it, and asked to take his photo. "Click, click" and a thumbs up sign and a "OK?" were the series for permission. I took three photos and showed them to him.  This was the breaking point. He began to smile his toothless smile and sit up even straighter.

Chelsea took a turn taking photos and I continued to smile at him. I could see him returning to a state of dignity perhaps he carried long ago. I remember Susi Childers, our PhotogenX school founder and Photography 1 instructor, telling us similar stories. She pointed out how asking to take the photo of someone who is normally regarded so lowly can give a sense of worth. As people carry their cameras to historical landmarks, important events, concerts, political events, birthday parties and graduations, we photograph and keep as a memory things of value. When a homeless person, who sees a great deal of folks photographing important things, becoming the subject of interest he definitely understood we thought him important, too.
Walking away I really felt kindred to the ministry of Jesus. He would have done just what we did. Perhaps he did not have 5 euro to give back then, but as I held his hand, prayed to our Father for him, I felt the purpose of the Prince of Peace. Full of joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment